Join me for a discussion with Bernard J. Baars as we discuss consciousness science, global workspace theory, and more!
Join me for a discussion with Christof Koch, Chief Scientist of the MindScope Program at the Allen Institute for Brain Science, as we discuss themes from his recent book The Feeling of Life Itself
Join me for a discussion with Elizabeth Loftus, a Distinguished Professor of Psychological Science, Criminology, Law and Society, Cognitive Science, and Law at UC Irvine, as we discuss her work on memory.
All times listed in Eastern Standard Time.
- Elizabeth Loftus -Thursday February 18th at 1:00 pm
- Luke Roelofs -Wednesday February 24th at 12:00 pm
- Christof Koch -Tuesday March 9th at 4:00 pm
- Bernard Baars -Tuesday March 16th at 11:00 am
- Declan Smithies -Tuesday March 23rd at 1:00 pm
- Jacob Berger -Thursday March 25th at 12:00 pm
- Nicholas Shea -Wednesday March 31st at 10:00 am (tentative)
- Kate Pendoley -Monday April 5th at 10:00 am
- Tony Chemero -Wednesday April 14th at 1:00 pm
- Peter Carruthers -Tuesday April 20th at 1:00 pm
- Hedda Hassel Mørch -Monday April 26th at 5 am
- Adrien Doerig -Tuesday May 4th at 9:00 am
- Megan Peters -May 24 or 25
- Claire Sergent -Friday July 2nd at 8:00 am
- Mark Solms -Friday September 17th at 9:00 am
- Donald Hoffman -Wednesday September 22nd at 1:00 p.m.
To be scheduled. Check back for updates!
2020 was a rough year and I am ready to put it in the rear view! Luckily for me and my family we were able to carry on online and the year went by for the most part like normal.
I taught 17 classes in 2020, almost all (13) of them completely online! That’s up from last year. I taught online before so with the addition of zoom I explored synchronous online classes. I have been at CUNY for 17 years, (four years at Brooklyn College and) LaGuardia for 13, and I’ve never seen anything like this!
Since we were all trapped at home for quite a while I redoubled my efforts on Consciousness Live! having 28 conversations over the course of the year. I learn a lot from these discussions and I have been very glad to be able to have them…I have plans to do more in 2021, though likely not at the same volume!
I feel like I got a fair bit of writing done but only managed to get two papers to see the light of day. One with Jake Berger for a book edited by Josh Weisberg in honor of David Rosenthal. The other with Joe LeDoux was a short comment on a paper by Graziano et al.
My blogging was light. I have been attending a lot of talks and also a seminar with Romina Padro and Saul Kripke at the Graduate Center on the Adoption Problem and the Epistemology of Logic. I have been meaning to write a series of blog posts about the class but have not been able to get to it.
- And the Conscious State is…
- From back in January, reflections on an objection raised by Ned Block to a paper Jake Berger and I presented at NYU in November 2019 (which maybe some day might get published)
- Transworld Depravity and the New Logical Problem of Evil
- From back in February. Re-assessing Plantinga’s Free Will defense of the logical problem of evil
- A New Home
- I wrote a short story! Have you ever felt like the human body was possibly advanced AI built by an alien species? Naw, me neither! This was also in February -just before the lock down!
- Shombies vs. Zombies vs. Anti-Zombies and Popular Sessions from the Online Consciousness Conference
- another from February! Some reflections on my shombie argument and the most viewed sessions from the Online Consciousness Conference. This was on the 10 year mark of the first online consciousness conference.
- No Euthyphro Dilemma for Higher-order Theories
- From July. Some comments on Daniel Stoljar’s recent paper on higher-order theories
- Introspection and the Content of Higher-Order Thoughts
- from August. Some thoughts about a paper I am working on with Adriana Renero with a helpful comment from David Rosenthal …we are still working on it!
Join me for a conversation with François Kammerer, a Humboldt postdoctoral researcher at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Germany, as we discuss illusionism about phenomenal consciousness
Francois’ website: https://www.francoiskammerer.com
Join me for a discussion with Daniel Stoljar, a professor of philosophy at the Australian National University, as we discuss physicalism, the epistemic approach to consciousness, conceivability arguments, revelation for introspection, illusionism, and more!
- Daniel’s website: https://sites.google.com/site/danielstoljar/
Join me for a discussion with Victor Caston, a professor of philosophy and classical studies at the University of Michigan, as we discuss Aristotle on consciousness, perception, representationalism, the Veil of Perception, and more!
- Victor’s Academia.edu website
Join me for a discussion with Chris Letheby, Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of Western Australia and (2019-2022) Postdoctoral Researcher at the University of Adelaide on the ARC-funded project ‘Philosophical Perspectives on Psychedelic Psychiatry’, as we discuss the philosophy of psychedelics