I have on occasion been accused of being a “Higher-Order Theorist” and I suppose I will have to plead guilty to that at this point! I have spent a lot of time thinking, talking, and writing about the higher-order thought theory of consciousness. A lot of that thinking occurred here at Philosophy Sucks! and so I have gathered links to the posts I have written over the past 10 years exploring various aspects of the higher-order thought theory of consciousness (some which have been incorporated into various publications of mine but others haven’t).
Altogether I counted 51 posts, which is about 10% of my total posts!
- Explaining What It’s Like
- Do Thoughts Make Us Conscious of Things?
- A Tale of Two T’s
- Two Concepts of Transitive Consciousness
- Kripke, Consciousness, and the ‘Corn
- As ‘Corny as I want to Be
- HOT Fun in the Summertime 1
- HOT Fun in the Summertime 2
- Gary and Jerry
- On Hallucinating Pain
- Consciousness, Relational Properties, and Higher-Order Theories
- Consciousness is not a Relational Property
- Varieties of Higher-Order Zombie
- Empirical Support for the Higher-Order Theory of Consciousness
- The Function of Consciousness in Higher-Order Theories
- That’s not an Argument
- The Introspective HOT Zombie Problem
- Is There Such a Thing as a Neurophilosophical Theory of Consciousness?
- Implementing the Transitivity Principle
- Priming and Change Blindness
- Priming, Change Blindness, and the Function of Consciousness
- Unconscious Change Detection, Priming, and the Function of Consciousness
- HOT Fun in the Wintertime?
- Rosenthal’s Objection
- Pain Asymbolia and Higher-Order Theories of Consciousness
- There’s Something about Jerry
- HOT (Still) Implies PAM
- HOT Theories of Consciousness & Unconscious Gricean Intentions
- The Higher-Order Response to the Zombie Argument
- HOT Imagination
- HOT Byrne
- Consciousness, Consciousness, Consciousness!
- HOT Dam it’s a HO Down-Showdown
- Unconscious Introspection and Higher-Order Theories of Consciousness
- HOT Qualia Realism
- HOT Block
- More HOTer, More Better
- Higher-Order Mental Pointing
- The New New Dualism
- Dream a little dream
- Phenomenally HOT
- Same-Order Theories of Consciousness and the Failure of Phenomenal Intimacy
- Explaining Consciousness and its Consequences
- Cognitive Access: The Only Game in Town
- Explaining Cartesian Consciousness
- The Overflow Cup Runneth Over
- The Nature of Phenomenal Consciousness
- Introspection, Acquaintance, and Higher-Order Representations
- Kozuch on Lau and Brown
- Gottlieb on Presentational Character and Higher-Order Thought Theories of Consciousness
- Seager on the Empirical Case for Higher-Order Theories of Consciousness
2 thoughts on “Thinking about Higher-Order Thought Theories of Consciousness”
Oh man I missed one!
Gottlieb on Brown
[…] years in the blogosphere I have been compiling some of my past posts into thematic meta-posts. The first of these listed my posts on the higher-order thought theory of consciousness. Continuing in this theme below are links to posts I have done over the past ten years reporting […]